How we use your data
Smart Respiratory Products Ltd (SRP) requires your data to enable you to track and chart your peak flow, rescue inhaler use and symptoms. The data is stored in the Cloud and is de-identified and securely protected by a two-step encryption. This back-up copy ensures that your data won’t be lost in case you lose your smartphone or you use another device to log in. Your de-identified data is linked to a randomly generated ID and not linked to your email address, so it is completely anonymous. Please be aware that our security means that if you forget your login details, it is impossible to retrieve your data from the Cloud.
You can share your asthma data with your doctor via email in a PDF chart or Excel spreadsheet, using the share function in the app. Alternatively you can share your asthma data with your doctor in real time through the Smart Asthma telemedicine console which provides the doctor with valuable data regarding your asthma condition. You are authorising your doctor to view your data when you register for this service and you will create an ID which enables your doctor to identify you and monitor your condition, enabling the doctor to amend your medication accordingly. This data is also encrypted and only your doctor can view it. You can choose to stop sharing your data with your doctor at any time and your doctor will no longer see your data. You can also ask for all your stored data to be deleted.
However, please note that although we take reasonable steps to protect your information,
no website, internet transmission, computer system, or wireless connection is completely
Data from the Smart Peak Flow Meter (SPF) is de-identified and securely stored in the Google Cloud in the USA. Google Cloud have servers across many countries so if it is a legal requirement to keep the data within the country, this can be arranged. The principal reason for storing the data is to enable the asthmatic to keep track of their own asthma data. SRP only use the patient’s de-identified data for research or medical purposes and to improve our services. The Terms & Conditions (T&Cs) prohibit any stakeholder from selling the data to a third party.
Only members of SRP can see the data from the SPF and we only see the gender, country, results and age. SRP do not see any names or email addresses. The doctor only sees your data if you share it with them and no other stakeholders can see it.
When signing up for the Smart Asthma Console, the patient authorises the doctor to receive their data, including names (or unique identifier), without which the doctor can’t monitor their patients. This authorisation can be withdrawn at any time and only the doctor sees this data. SRP only sees the de-identified data and no other stakeholders can see the data.
If you are a patient and you use the Smart Asthma Console you agree to the following:
- You give permission to your health care professional to have access to your data [name of the user, date of birth, other demographic information, medical information]. This data must be used only for medical purposes.
- You give permission to your health care professional to contact you for medical reasons only.
- You acknowledge that only your personal health care professional will have access to your full data, which you share through the Smart Asthma Console.
- You give permission to Smart Respiratory Products Ltd, which is the owner and custodian of any data collected by the Smart Asthma Console, to have access to your de-identified data. This can only be used for research purposes and to improve the further development of the Smart Asthma Console.
- You understand that you have the right to stop using the Smart Asthma Console at any time without your medical care being affected.
If you are health care professional and you use the Smart Asthma Console to register patients, you agree to the following:
- You are the only person to have access to any identifiable data of the user, such as name of the user, date of birth, other demographic information, and medical information.
- All the acquired identifiable data from users is strictly confidential and must be used only for medical purposes.
- You acknowledge that you are only allowed to share de-identified data of users with other third parties for medical or research purposes.
- You understand that the owner and custodian of the user’s data (Smart Respiratory Products Ltd) can have access to the de-identified data of the user, without requesting an official approval.